Officially First Winery in State of California to Reach Gold LEED® Certification Status
"Visitors come to HALL to experience hand-crafted Cabernet Sauvignon and are excited to learn about our vineyards, buildings, and operations, which result in a minimal carbon footprint." Kathryn says, "At HALL Wines, we grow our own grapes and craft our wines, and so we are obligated to ensure the health of the land, as well as that of the greater Napa Valley ecosystem."
To meet the precise requirements to become Gold LEED® certified, HALL has included many sustainable design elements and practices including:
- Radiant Floors Allowing for Precision Winemaking and Maximum Energy Efficiency - Radiant flooring allows HALL to control the facility's temperature while conserving energy. This technology, accomplished by running cold or warm water through the floor slab, provides an energy efficient and stable storage and production environment.
- Solar Energy - The sun provides more than 35 percent of the energy needed to power HALL St. Helena. Solar photovoltaic cells (solar panels) on the roof tops of the barrel cellar and fermentation building convert sunlight directly into electricity. Approximately 42,000 square feet of solar panels span the St. Helena winery roofs.
- Local Building Materials - More than 10 percent of materials used to build the facility were extracted, harvested or recovered, as well as manufactured, within 500 miles of the project site.
- Recycled Building Materials - More than 10 percent of the materials used were made with recycled content.
- Water Conservation - Drought tolerant plants were selected for the winery landscaping which will reduce the demand for irrigation by more than 50 percent. In conjunction with this, all of the landscaping and vineyards are irrigated with recycled water. A 40 percent reduction of building water has also been achieved through the use of low-flow water outlets without compromising performance.
HALL extends their environmental responsibilities to their general operations by recycling and using recycled materials whenever possible in their offices as well as shipping direct-to-consumer wine in recyclable packaging. Additionally the Hall's own nearly 500 planted acres in Napa and Sonoma counties which are organically farmed and scheduled to be certified organic within the next year.
From July through the end of August, HALL St. Helena is offering complimentary LEED tours daily at 11am. For reservations, please call 707.967.2626.
HALL St. Helena Winery
401 St. Helena Highway South
St. Helena, CA 94574
Other Articles on Hall Winery:
Steve Leveque: Inside the Mind of a Winemaker
Hall Rutherford: Wine As It Was Meant to be Enjoyed