Submitted by: Chef Robin Lehnhoff-McCray of Korbel Champagne Cellars
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated Asiago Cheese
- 1 cup basil pesto (store bought is fine)
- Olive oil no stick spray
Spray the bottom and sides of an 8 inch casserole dish, set aside. Preheat the oven to 350º.
Toss the squash with the olive oil to coat evenly. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour into a baking dish and cover with foil. Bake until squash is tender. Let cool slightly before pureeing in a food processor (1/2 amount at a time). When the squash is smooth, add 4 T cheese and pour into the 8 inch casserole dish. Top the squash with ½ cup pesto and continue with the next layer of squash/asiago. Finish with pesto on top and a sprinkle of remaining cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown edges appear. Serve immediately.