Wine Pairing: Sterling Vineyards Reserve Merlot, Napa Valley 09
Ingredients - Roasted Chestnut-Cranberry Stuffing
- 6 oz. butter
- 2 cups diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 cups rough chopped roasted and peeled chestnuts (*cooked and peeled chestnuts can be purchased from gourmet food stores and mail order)
- 4 cups squab or chicken stock
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, roasted in a 300° oven for 20 minutes
- 4 cups fresh country bread cubes, crust removed and lightly toasted
- 1 tbs. chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbs. chopped fresh sage
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbs. butter
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Butter a 8 x 12 or so baking dish.
- In a large sauce pot on medium high heat cook the onions and celery in the butter until very tender, stirring frequently to avoid browning.
- Add chestnuts and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, turn up heat to high and bring to a boil. Shut off.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl. Fold in bread cubes, herbs and roasted cranberries.
- Transfer to baking dish. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.