A chilly weekend demands a wonderful, warming Chowder which pairs beautifully with Korbel Blanc de Noirs.
Recipe: Corn, Coconut, and Fennel Chowder
Wine Pairing: KORBEL Blanc de Noirs
- 4 C. yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 C. fresh fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 2 C. leeks, cut into rings
- 3 T. garlic, peeled and slivered
- 3 T. olive oil
- ½ tsp. red chili flakes
- 1 tsp. fresh Serrano chili, seeded and slivered
- 5 C. rich chicken stock
- 6 C. coconut milk (unsweetened)
- 1 T. cornstarch or arrowroot
- 4 C. fresh corn kernels, cut from the cob
- 1 T. fresh lemon peel, finely slivered
- Sea salt and freshly ground white pepper
- ¼ C. cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- Garnish: A fine julienne of fresh mint leaves and red bell pepper. Additionally, slivers of hot Louisiana or Chinese sausage can be added for interest.
Saute the onions, fennel, leeks and garlic in olive oil until crisply cooked and not brown (about 5 minutes). Add chili flakes, Serrano chili and chicken broth and bring just to the boil.
Dissolve the cornstarch in the coconut milk and add to broth along with the lemon peel. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add corn kernels and warm through. Correct seasoning and stir in the cilantro just before serving. Add garnish.
Planning a visit to Sonoma County? Spend the day at Korbel Champagne Cellars...taste our delightful Champagnes, tour our historic winery and gardens, and enjoy a delicious lunch at our gourmet Delicatessen. Complimentary tours and tastings daily.
Click Here for more recipes featuring KORBEL Champagne pairings.