Recipes from Circulon Cooks ~ Pumpkin, Ginger and Toasted Macadamia Soup By Sally James
Photography by Horticulture Australia Limited
This is what I call my "healthy indulgent soup", using macadamias rather than cream to bring a delicious rich creaminess. Just a touch of nutty texture, and the sweetness of macadamias and apples. If you can find the Australian nuts, all the better, as the nut from its native terroir has a more subtle soft crunch!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped raw macadamia nuts
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 cups diced pumpkin or squash
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock
- Roasted macadamias, to garnish
1. Heat oil in a heavy based large saucepan, add the macadamias, onion and ginger, and saute over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until golden.
2. Add the pumpkin (or squash) and apple and cook 1-2 minutes further, then pour in the stock. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until pumpkin is soft.
3. Tip off some of the liquid, and reserve, then puree the remainder using an immersion blender or in a blender until smooth and creamy. Add more of the cooking liquid to bring to desired consistency.
Reheat and serve in bowls scattered with extra macadamias.