2003 Late Harvest Viognier, $25
Ingredients - Candied Walnuts
- 1 cup Walnut halves
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 + tsp. Togarashi - Japanese chile mix
Ingredients - Pears
- 3 ea. Bartlett pears, cut into 1/8ths, Cores removed
- Sugar to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp. Canola oil
- 1 lb. Point Reyes Blue Cheese
- 3 Tbsp. Honey
1. Preheat grill.
2. Combine 1-cup water and sugar in a saucepot. Bring to a simmer
and cook for 5 minutes until the sugar has dissolved. Add the walnuts
and poach for 10 minutes. Drain well. Place the poached walnuts on a
sheet pan in a single layer and bake for 15 - 20 minutes at 300 °F
until golden brown and crunchy. Toss with the togarashi to taste.
3. Cut the pear just before grilling to prevent oxidation. Toss the
pears with salt and sugar to taste. Add 1 tablespoon of canola oil and
toss to coat Place the pears on the grill, cut side down, over a medium
hot fire. Cook until the pears have acquired a bit of a sear, about 2
minutes, then flip them over, and grill for another 30 seconds. Remove
from the heat.
Place a 2 oz wedge of Point Reyes Blue cheese in center of plate, fan 3 pieces of grilled pears around, sprinkle with candied walnuts and drizzle with honey.